Uncontested Divorce in Washington State

parents talking

Who Should Consider an Uncontested Divorce?

  • Couples who have not been married long

  • Agreed parenting roles

  • Have simple marital estates

You will save a lot of time, money and aggravation if you can get an agreement with your spouse on all issues such as child support, sharing time with minor children, division of property and debt and alimony if any. Obviously this is easier said than done but if you can do it, a lawyer can draw up final orders and the matter will be fairly inexpensive compared to a contested Washington State divorce. If you cannot agree on one or more issues you will need to go to Court for the Judge to decide these issues. Try and sit down with your spouse and work out details. It may take several meetings to conclude matters. If you have a spouse that thinks they’re going to run the show, remind them that only the Judge runs the show. And without threatening, remind them that this matter can be done the easy way or the hard way.

In many cases you and your spouse can resolve many issues, but some may require some advise and negotiation.  They can be resolved at mediation. It is a lot cheaper to have a mediator involved with a case than to pay lawyers to do the great deal of work necessary to prepare for trial before the Court. Mediators cannot force a settlement on anyone but they can certainly use their skills to show people what would be a reasonable settlement, and further advise them as to what the Court may do if their is a trial. Sometimes it is just good to have a neutral party that both sides will listen to assist with the settlement negotiations. You often shouldn’t go to mediation though until the discovery process (depositions and the exchange of financial documents) has provided you with a complete picture of your family finances (including your spouse’s) and all aspects of, and the strengths and weaknesses of your case.


It’s a simple and easy process.  Contact me or Call Today for a Free Consultation:  (206) 217-0600.